Join us as we chat to Nottingham Castle Retail Buyer Rosie Williamson
We caught up with Rosie to get her thoughts on favourite products from the store, why working with local businesses is so important and what the vision for Nottingham Castle is. Read on to learn more and find out how to enter our joint competition!
1. What is the vision for the Nottingham Castle gift store?
We want to be Nottingham’s prime shopping destination! Nottingham residents and tourists alike can now shop a range of carefully selected gifts supplied by local businesses. We’re passionate about supporting our communities and care about sustainability. The revenue from the shop plays a huge part in the continued upkeep of the Castle. All income generated goes directly towards the preservation and improvement of the Castle, collections, and landscape for the long-term benefit of visitors.
2. Why was it important for Nottingham Castle to seek out local businesses and include their products within your range?
Nottingham Castle Shop wants to be embedded within its communities and we do this by working with local businesses to create an amazing range for the shop. It’s a win-win for us, as we get amazing stock whilst supporting the small businesses most impacted by the pandemic. Over 50% of our suppliers are local and another 20% are small UK based businesses. we’ve got everything from local beer and candles to books and toys. A lot of our local suppliers are featured on our Instagram page @NottmCastleShop. It’s important to us that we celebrate the amazing artists and creators we work with.
3. What has the reaction been from visitors since the re-opening of Nottingham Castle? Reactions from visitors to the shop have been incredible, our visitor numbers have been amazing, and we’ve been selling out most days of the school holidays. Kids particularly love our brand-new play area and our re-enactment events with Black Knight Historical have been very popular.
4. Do you have any favourite products?
It’s difficult to choose! However, one of my favourite product developments has been our Catchfly candle, made with Black Acres Soap Pantry. Our Volunteer Manager Pippa led on a project reintroducing Catchfly to the Castle grounds after a nearly 200-year absence and we’ve used this project to launch our very own Catchfly candle. It was a delight to work with the team from Black Acres, we went through scent testing with our volunteers and carefully selected a scent that reflected the flower. Moreover, the candle has been one of our best sellers in the shop.
5. Why do you feel bespoke packaging is important?
Bespoke packaging is a great way to re-enforce brand identity. It draws people to your products and really sets them aside from other items on the market.
6. How have you found working with TTK on this private label project?
Amazing! TTK understood the brief perfectly after we supplied the style guides, and their first take was spot on! They gave us plenty of options to choose from. Our favourite from the range is the Vegan Clouds, tried and approved by the Castle staff!
Nottingham Castle Trust and TTK Confectionery Ltd have partnered up on a giveaway to offer one lucky winner a family general admission ticket for 2 adults and 3 children, a selection of Nottingham Castle sweet pouches PLUS a selection of goodies from Treat Kitchen!
For details on how to enter visit our Instagram page @TTKConfectionery